Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Man named Uncle Joe




My Uncle Joe, just look at the guy! He is the essence of a no frills, hardcore outdoors man. I look up to Uncle Joe in the way he leads his life. He has his priorities in check: He loves his family, works as a firefighter with excellent hours (3 days on, 4 days off), lives within feet of a trout-crazy river, shows his sensitiviy when necessary, and leads a simple life. It is always a breath of fresh air to visit him away from my hectic Southern Cal life.

When I visit it is always a gamble if he will be home. He always leaves a note on the front door informing any unexpected visitors where he is. For example, last summer he had a note on the front door that said, "Up in Desolation Wilderness, I'll be back on Wednesday, maybe Friday." There is something I admire about living without a set agenda.

Not to mention he is the best fly fisherman I have ever fished with. He is very unconventional in the pretentious fly fisher sense. He just kills it on the water. With my own eyes he hammers fish all day with his 4lb mono (no foo-foo tapered leader and tippet), cheap Cabela's reel, and a garage-sale rod.

Hats off to my man, Uncle Joe.

No comments: