Sunday, February 3, 2008

Gierach


Tom Bie, the mastermind behind The Drake Magazine, wrote a wonderful article a few years back about a conversation he had in Lyons, CO with no other than John Gierach, the author of more than a dozen fly fishing novel, including his best known book, Trout Bum. As you may have guessed, I admire Gierach's wit and humor regarding life and the simple pleasures of fly fishing. He is a breath of fresh air in, may I dare say, the staunch circle of fly snobs. I relate with his dead-honest writing while making fun of himself first and not taking fly fishing so seriously.

Here is a blurb from Tom,

"Again it is Gierach’s lack of pretension that shines through. "In flyfishing there is a strong streak of snobbery," Geurnsey says. "But Gierach will turn in a column about fishing for carp or something and he’ll actually help bring some of his readers down to earth."

&

"'I don’t travel or fish to ‘get away,’ he (Gierach) once wrote, 'because my life at home isn’t something I need to escape from.' We should all be so lucky."


Read the rest of the article found on The Drake Magazine website.

No comments: